The following principles form the basis for fulfilling the ICORE objectives:
- ICORE aims to promote Open Research and Open Education as a fundamental social objective.
- ICORE aims to support the design and implementation of innovative strategies, instruments and services for facilitating Open Research and Open Education such as Open Access, Open Educational Practices and Resources.
- ICORE aims to foster co-operation among all relevant stakeholders in Open Research and Open Education such as policy makers, researchers, educators, students, learners, non-profit and commercial providers and users.
- ICORE aims to facilitate the continuous and rapid transfer of results from Open Research and Open Education into the deployment for future research and education and for the benefits of the general public and global society.
- ICORE aims at fostering research and development that leads to innovation when that will benefit the objectives of the association.